Wednesday, October 7, 2026

 Redeemed

October 7


It was not with perishable things … that you were redeemed.

1 Peter 1:18


Sally had been attending services for about two months when the pastor and an

elder dropped by to visit her husband, Bob. They brought him an information

packet that included a CD of the most recent sermon. Following an extended

visit, they said good-bye, and invited for Bob to come check them out.

“Vietnam left deep scars on too many good men and women,” the elder

remarked, alluding to Bob’s comments about taking part in the fighting and his

struggles with God since then.

The following Sunday, Sally showed up alone. The pastor asked, “Do you

think Bob will come?”

“I don’t know. Maybe someday. But not today,” she said with deep sadness.

“Don’t give up,” the pastor encouraged.

Halfway through praise and worship, Bob walked through the door. And

that very day, he gave his life to Christ!

There was a church picnic that afternoon right across the street from Bob

and Sally’s home. Midway through the picnic, Bob appeared from the house

and approached the pastor. “I wasn’t going to come today,” he began. “As a

matter of fact, I turned around three times. But I wanted to see if you were as

good in person as you were on the CD,” he said sheepishly. Growing serious,

he reached in his pocket and stretched his closed hand toward the pastor. “I

want you to have this. I was going to use it. But I don’t need it anymore.” And

with that, he dropped a nine-millimeter bullet with his name written on it into

the pastor’s hand.

Since that day, Bob has grown to know the One Who saved him with His

redeeming power.

h

Nothing of intrinsic value could have redeemed us. The price sin required was

Jesus’ blood.

Some believe they’ve done too much, committed too heinous a crime to be

of any use to God. But no matter where we’ve been or what we’ve done, Jesus’

blood is sufficient to cover that sin.

God wants us to know our worthiness has nothing to do with salvation

through His Son. He just calls us to come and be redeemed.


Prayer

“Lord, I feel unworthy. But Your Word says if I

accept Your Son, You will redeem me anyway. Forgive

me, Lord. I want to be redeemed. Amen.”


No comments:

Post a Comment