Thursday, August 12, 2021

 

Revenge is the LORD's


It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them

Deuteronomy 32:35

Perry’s schedule had just been changed and Thursday, not Wednesday, was now his mid-week evening shift. He’d unduly been suspended for a week for missing his shift, “I called as soon as I discovered the oversight. But she told me not to bother coming in.”

Norm asked his son, “Have you missed any work in the year you’ve been there?”

“Nope. It doesn’t seem fair.” He expanded a bit on the situation, “My supervisor doesn’t like me, and I have a hard time liking her…she’s kinda petty. One evening, shortly after she’d taken over the position,” Perry noted, “she saw me walking from the patio. I had both hands full, yet she pointed to a napkin on the floor and growled, ‘Pick up that napkin!’ I looked at her and said, ‘Can’t you give me a hand and pick it up instead of exercising your authority?’ She didn’t like my standing up to her, and she’s treated me like crap ever since. I’m not stressed out. I just called so you and Mom could pray with me.”

Norm was angry, but tried not to let his voice betray his emotion, “Well, let’s ask God to resolve the issue...” and the three of them prayed that God would have His way in this situation.

It’s easy to get caught off guard, allowing the enemy to push our buttons. But God says, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

In today’s text, God assures us that He is watching what is going on, and will avenge us in His time, even telling us that disaster will befall them. But…we can help change that if we will pray for them, and let God change their heart.

It’s impossible to do in our own power, so trust in His Power instead. When we turn things over to Him, He changes our heart while attempting to change theirs.

Prayer

“Father, there are times I want revenge, and it’s hard not to get angry. Help me realize that I give people control of my life if I give in to my anger. Give me peace instead, and judge them according to Your will. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment