Saturday, June 15, 2024

 Outside the Boat

June 15

Come.

Matthew 14:29

Standing in water up to his chest, Shamar encouraged his young son to jump into his arms. Standing along the edge at the deep end of the pool, Jamal was having second thoughts. Looking down at the water, he was suddenly worried. The shallow end was one thing; this was completely different!

“I don’t know, Daddy,” Jamal began. “It’s so deep. I’m afraid!”

“It’s okay, Jamal. To be afraid, I mean. I was scared the first time I jumped off the end of the dock into your grandpa’s arms at the pond on his farm. Grandpa understood my apprehension. He promised that he wouldn’t let anything bad happen to me and that he would not let me drown. And I won’t let anything bad happen either, buddy!” Shamar promised. 

“If you want to wait, it’s okay. But I’m sure you can handle it. Just make up your mind to do it and jump! Come on, Jamal. You can do it,” he encouraged.

You could see that Jamal had come to a decision. “Okay, Daddy. I trust you. Here goes!” he hollered. And with that, Jamal launched himself off the side of the pool and into a new level of faith.

Faith is grown experientially. We all face difficult decisions. Our response will be determined by our faith in Jesus. Peter is remembered more for sinking in doubt than for the steps he took outside the boat. Yet he was the only disciple with enough faith to try! 

He knew that when Jesus said, “Come,” things would be okay. He didn’t think to ask how many steps Jesus would ensure. He didn’t ask if his action would end in drowning. He simply stepped out of the boat.

Jesus is looking for those who would resolve in faith to discover how far they can walk with Him outside the boat. It’s easy to remain faithful with assurance all around. It’s another matter completely to take each step not knowing where our foot will land. Jesus bids us, “Come.”

Prayer

“Sometimes I’m afraid, Papa. Help me answer Your call with obedience built in faith. Cause my heart to be strong in those moments of decision. Reach for me as I step outside the boat. In Jesus’ Name, amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment