Wednesday, September 30, 2026

 I Don’t Want This Bed

September 30


Humble yourselves … under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you

up.

1 Peter 5:5, 6


Reuben, struggling to roll over while trying to not wake his wife, finally made it

and then sat up on the edge of the bed. He tentatively reached behind himself

with both hands and began rubbing his lower back. I hate this bed! This thing’s

killin’ my back! I hate my back too. Hey, God, how about a touch, he asked silently.

He’d been asking God for healing for almost thirty years now. My thorn, I guess,

was his first thought, followed by his second, This bed’s gotta go!

He made his way to the shower and just stood there, allowing the hot

water to massage his aching muscles.

June emerged from the bedroom a half hour later, whistling and ready for

the day.

Reuben looked at her and said, “We’re getting a new bed today.” Then he

added, “I refuse to sleep on that slab of rock one more night!”

“I’m sorry, honey,” June said with a bit of a chuckle. “But do you really

think the next mattress is going to be any better than the last four?”

Reuben was determined to try at least one more time. “I won’t be able to

answer that question until we try the new one we’re buying today.” And fol-

lowing breakfast, they jumped in the pickup truck and headed for the Discount

Wholesale Furniture Warehouse.

h

Society often uses the idiom, “You made your bed, now lie in it!” But God says

He can lift us out of difficult circumstances.

It is within each of us to make spiritual changes based on what God is able

to do for us. We are not hindered from asking Him to show us the way to a

better life. We are limited only by our courage to humbly ask Him to show us

how to bring about such improvement.

When we make the effort to lift ourselves day by day to a new spiritual

level, God provides what’s necessary to attain that life. Though it may require

temporary discomfort, we need not suffer a negative attitude that is clouded by

our physical circumstances.


Prayer

“Lord, I come to You asking for guidance. Show

me how to improve my mind-set and to look to

You instead for my daily bread. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment