I Understand
September 29
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with
our weaknesses.
Hebrews 4:15
As Bart began the long drive back home, sadness descended upon him. His
wife, Jenny, had died two years ago, and now this. He had just left his son, Tren-
ton’s, basic training graduation. Bart had remained strong for Trenton as they’d
released each other in embrace, saying good-bye for who knew how long. Trent
had orders to ship out for the Persian Gulf tomorrow, and the weight of that
was hitting Bart like a sledge to the chest.
Arriving home, Bart listened to the one message on his answering machine.
“Hey, Bart, it’s Gary. Give me a call. I reserved a tee time for six-o’clock at
Apple Valley. Doug and Chris are gonna round out the foursome.”
Gary’s son had been killed in a firefight when the army’s Third Infantry,
along with the 101st Airborne, had made the initial assault on Baghdad in 2003.
As they teed off, just the presence of these three military fathers brought
Bart comfort. They understood his heart. He didn’t need to say anything if he
didn’t want to, but that unspoken support told him that he would find under-
standing with any of them when times became difficult.
h
Gary’s sensitivity to Bart’s situation told him loud and clear, “I understand
what you’re feeling.” Bart knew that Gary’s arranging the golf outing was his
way of saying, “If you need anything, bro, we’re here.”
We all need someone in our lives who understands what we’re going
through, and God is faithful. He quickens the spirit of those who have suffered
similar situations, those who are acquainted with our troubled heart, when we
need encouragement. And, as Gary did for Bart, others step up to comfort us.
Yet, even if no one completely understands, there is One Who truly knows
what our heart needs most. That One is Jesus. Without a doubt, He can say, “I
understand.” Hold out your wounded heart today and find peace.
Prayer
“Jesus, my heart has known sorrow. My heart has known
pain. I thank You for bringing peace and comfort
when I need it most. Help me reach out to others in
that same way whenever I see a need. Amen.”
No comments:
Post a Comment