Monday, May 6, 2024

 I Am the Greatest *

May 6

Suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Romans 5:3–4

“C’mon, James!” Lester pleaded. “Just throw me a few pitches, pleeeeease? I won’t ever ask again—I promise!”

“I can’t, buddy. I gotta get to work. Just toss it up and hit it like I showed you.”

Disappointed, Lester headed out behind the barn to do as James suggested. “Maaaaan.” The word dragged out. “How am I ever gonna be the greatest?”

But Lester, being who he was, made the best of things.

Imagining the hayfield was Yankee Stadium, he tossed the ball into the air; it hit the top of its arc and began its descent. Lester hauled his bat back and swung, missing the ball completely. “Strike one!” he declared. Undeterred, he picked up the ball and repeated the process, this time tossing the ball a little higher, giving himself more time to prepare. The ball came down; Lester swung and missed again. “Strike two!” his mother heard him cry.

Taking a break from hanging out laundry, she peeked around the corner of the barn in time to see her youngest son retrieve the ball and launch it skyward once more. The toss was perfect! She watched the ball drop as Lester timed his swing. He swung for the fence and missed a third time. “Strike three!” he hollered. “You’re out!” What she heard next made her giggle. “I am the greatest; that is a fact. But even I didn’t know I could pitch like that!”

Lester’s hope-filled character is a lesson for us all; Lester’s spirit prevailed. In his mind, he succeeded in spite of his apparent failure. He chose to view things from a lofty perspective. He saw himself as a victor no matter what it looked like in the natural.

In each of our disappointments, God includes a lesson for our benefit. These are character-building moments. If we lose hope and allow disappointing results to influence us negatively, we miss an opportunity to learn and grow. If we seek to learn the lesson God provides, we gain understanding.

Are you the greatest? The choice is up to you.

Prayer

“Sometimes it seems as if I fail, Lord. Teach me to see with eyes of hope instead of a heart of discouragement. In Jesus’ Name, amen.”

* Story adapted from the country song, 'The Greatest' By Kenny Rogers with his permission

No comments:

Post a Comment