Friday, May 31, 2024

 Spiritually Fit

May 31

Train yourselves to be godly.

1 Timothy 4:7

“C’mon, B.J., let’s go!” Max’s less-than-enthusiastic wife was lagging a bit this morning. Just being awake at 6:00 a.m. was a sacrifice in her book! “I know it’s rough getting up so early, but it’s the only opportunity we have. Now, c’mon.”

They headed out into the cool morning air, stretched, and then jogged the mile to the health club. Once there, they stretched again, loosening up tight muscles from their run, and then began their respective workouts.

Fifteen minutes later, B.J. looked toward her husband and said with a sly smile, “You know, Max, I love how I feel when we get home; I just hate the work. I don’t so much mind the workout once I get started; I just don’t look forward to it.”

“I know,” Max responded. “But the reward has been huge. Look at you. You look great! And I’ve increased my bench press to 270 pounds in just three months. I feel stronger now than I did when I was twenty!”

They completed their workouts, jogged home, showered, and then headed for work.

Physical training can be unpleasant. Yet the rewards are tremendous. Exercising our body gives us strength we can draw upon each day.

Just as work in the gym may not be fondly anticipated, our daily mental preparation can be a challenge. Knowing what to do in response to the problems that arise requires educating ourselves ahead of time. Gaining additional wisdom should always be our goal.

Even more crucial is our spiritual fitness! It must be determinedly attended to; otherwise, we have little or no effect in the kingdom. Paul said he worked harder than everyone else so that he, by God’s grace, might do the work Christ called him to (1 Corinthians 15:10). His instruction in his first letter to Timothy was straightforward: it requires training to be godly! Paul’s words were also penned for us.

We are chosen and appointed to do good works (John 15:16). Only as a result of constant spiritual training can we expect to have the strength to perform the work as opportunities present themselves.

Prayer

“Lord, help me stay well established in Your Word. On days when I am lax, remind me of the training required to do good works. Pump me up spiritually! Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment