Wednesday, May 22, 2024

 I Didn’t Tell You to Do That

May 22

Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing, and perfect will.

Romans 12:2b

Austin knew God was speaking directly to him as the pastor said, “Sometimes we cry out to God and ask, ‘What’s going on, Lord? Things are so screwed up. I don’t understand it. What happened?’ To which God replies, ‘You weren’t listening. I didn’t tell you to do that.’”

Austin silently said, “You didn’t say no when I asked, Lord.”

God’s response was immediate. “I didn’t say no. But I didn’t say yes either. I didn’t tell you to do what you did.” Then he felt God say, “What you did wasn’t sin; it just wasn’t what I told you to do. I gave you specific instructions. You chose to do something else. Your actions delayed My plan but did not stop it.”

And in that moment, Austin’s frustration over a recent situation became clear. He hadn’t been able to figure out why God wasn’t providing in the way he thought He should. Now he knew why.

Austin silently repented of his action and committed to doing what God had instructed him to do before. He was still learning to listen to God. It seemed like listening would forever be an ongoing lesson.

Austin hadn’t heard the audible voice of God, but it was as close as it got! He knew the Holy Spirit was relating God’s thoughts to him. Austin had spent time learning to interpret God’s voice by spending time with God. He’d speak (pray), then listen for God’s response (meditate).

God speaks to us through His Word; prayer; His Spirit; His people, and our circumstances. Each is specific, and each requires time learning to interpret. But Paul says we can figure it out.

Listening for God to speak is a discipline that requires our attention and silence. We can’t hear God’s answer if we’re doing all the talking.

Start at the beginning. Pick up His Word and prayerfully read it a little at a time.

Once we learn to speak the language, we will make better-informed decisions with less of a chance of hearing, “I didn’t tell you to do that.”

Prayer

“Help me listen for Your voice, Lord. Then help me follow in faith. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment