Wednesday, July 17, 2024

 As Is

July 17

Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom.

Proverbs 23:23

The price was attractive, but something didn’t feel right. It could be either a blessing or a sham. “I don’t know, Michael. This car should cost almost twice the asking price,” Brice warned. “I can’t tell you what, but something’s not right.”

“Aw, you’re just jealous ‘cause I found such a sweet deal! I’m buying this car.” Having made up his mind, Michael secured a loan and purchased the vehicle.

Three weeks later, the transmission began to slip. Taking the car to a local dealership, he discovered the previous owner had taken steps to temporarily hide the mechanical problem in order to sell the car.

Angry at being played for a fool, Michael called the man. “I’m returning the car! You deceived me!” he accused.

Unfazed, the man responded, “You bought that car as is. As it is now yours, I don’t care what you do with it. Sell it for all I care!” he said, chuckling as he hung up.

What had looked like such a sweet deal had become one of the worst deals Michael had ever made. He should have listened to the wisdom of his friend and at least had the vehicle checked out before buying it.

We live in a world where Satan influences so†me of the most harmless-looking people. When we fail to be wise or refuse to listen to wise counsel, we can be taken in. And to make matters worse, Satan gets us to attack ourselves. “You deserve a break. Look how sweet this deal is!” he whispers. We shove aside our doubts and bury the truth in denial for the glitter of the moment.

And when we’ve made the deal, he sits back, laughing. “You knew what you were getting into. You bought the package as is. Now live with it!”

It’s tempting to sell ourselves short when something appealing, yet toxic, appears. God exhorts us to purchase the truth and not exchange it for a seductive lie, to get wisdom and hang on to it with a relentless grip.

Prayer

“Help me listen for the truth in the midst of all the lies, Lord. Then help me hang on to it. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment