Saturday, July 20, 2024

 Then Who?

July 20

If anyone … sees his brother in need but has no pity … how can the love of God be in him?

1 John 3:17

The little girl looked so forlorn. Her mother looked as though she was fighting back tears. A covert glance revealed smudged faces and dirty clothes.

Lord, please send someone to minister to whatever problems they’re facing. Meet their needs, Sherry silently prayed as the elevator stopped on her floor.

“Why not you?” God softly invited.

Oh, Lord, I’ve got to get to work, she rationalized and stepped off the elevator.

“If not you, then who?” God whispered.

What am I supposed to say? Their personal issues are none of my business, she argued.

“Compassion is everyone’s business,” came the soft reprisal.

Turning back, Sherry hesitantly spoke. “Excuse me. I don’t want to offend you, but it appears as though you could use some help. Is there something I can do?”

The tears refused to be held back any longer. “I’m sorry,” the mother began. “It’s been so difficult lately. I lost my job. Cyndi and I have been living in homeless shelters. I came here in hopes of getting a job, but the way I look, I’m afraid no one would hire me.”

Reaching into her purse, Sherry pulled out a brush and began brushing the little girl’s hair, listening as the mother told her story. “Maybe I can help,” Sherry began.

We may not own a business and be able to hire the unemployed or have spare rooms to offer, but we can still reach out to those in need in whatever capacity we are able. Whether we choose to see it or not, hardship surrounds us.

The third chapter of John’s first letter deals with how we are to respond to God’s love. He invites us to mercifully emulate that love to a world in need.

It may take a few extra minutes, and we may be a bit uncomfortable, but when we encounter someone in need, we should mentally trade places, as if we ourselves were the one in need. And then remember God’s challenging appeal: if not you, then who?

Prayer

“Father, thank You for the loving sacrifice that made me right with You. May You find in me a willingness to be Your hand of mercy when You call. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment